Railways To Hand Over Century-Old Heritage Bridge To Government


In a bid to save its heritage structures, the Railways has decided against dismantling the 113-year old Lord Curzon Bridge in Allahabad and will hand it over the Uttar Pradesh government for its preservation. The decision was taken in February after the Uttar Pradesh government wrote to the Railway Ministry requesting that it be handed over the bridge. According to the ministry official, the construction of the 61-metre- long Lord Curzon Bridge that caters to both rail and vehicular traffic was sanctioned in 1901 as a state railway bridge. The bridge has a single broad gauge (BG) line between the girders and a roadway on top. The engineer-in-charge was Robert Richard Gales. It opened for railway traffic on June 15, 1905, and for road traffic on December 20, 1905. The bridge connects Allahabad with Phaphamau from the Teliarganj area over the Ganga river. The bridge was built by the British in 1897. It served Indian Railways well till it was decommissioned in 1997. It was replaced by the Godavari Arch, a bowstring-girder bridge built adjacent to the original bridge. The Havelock Bridge was constructed with stone masonry and steel girders. The bridge has 56 spans, each of 45.7 metres, and is 3,480 metres long. The bridge served the busy Howrah-Chennai route until its decommissioning.